Thursday, December 11, 2014

Our New HOUSE!


As many of you know, we bought a house!  

We looked at nearly 30 houses and were down to within 60 days of closing on our condo - but we found the perfect house in the end.  The house was so perfect, I was ready to put an offer in sight unseen.  

The story of buying our house is an exciting one.  After looking at 25 some-odd houses, we kept seeing small and nice and cheap houses, or big and expensive and rundown houses - there was nothing in between.  Eventually, this house came on the market and I was in love from the photos alone.  I called our Realtor and said we wanted to see it ASAP, but we were told that they were not taking offers until the weekend (5 days away).  So, Dustin and I saw the house, loved it and started to craft our offer.  We sured up our financing, went in with a strong offer (well over the low-ish asking price), waived all conditions, brought in a home inspector during our second walk-through.  While doing our home inspection/walk-through another couple was doing the same.  I looked at Dustin during this time and we both thought - "Get out of our house!"  We were sure this was our future home.  As we knew the house was going to be popular and have multiple offers - we wanted our offer to stand out.  So, I wrote a letter to the homeowners' children and included it in with our offer:

Dear Jackson children,

My name is Abby and I’m one and a half years old.  My mom and dad have been searching for a  house for me to grow up in and we think your house would be perfect!

For my entire life, I’ve been sharing a two bedroom condo with my mom and dad, with no backyard, so I understand what it must be like to grow out of a house that you love and want to live in something bigger.  When we first visited your house, I ran straight to the backyard.  You have such a wonderful space to play in back there.  I loved your slide and dropped hints to Mom and Dad that they might have to get me a play structure when we move.  Dad was excited about the backyard too, he’s already shopping for a BBQ and thinks your backyard would be perfect for the one he wants.

While we walked through your house, my Dad, who used to build houses before I was born, kept saying how well taken care of your house was.  Mom kept commenting on how much she liked the decor and how we wouldn’t need to paint a single room (although I think there needs to be more crayon on the walls!!).  I love your nice big bedrooms, and I can’t wait to pick one to become my room, although it would probably be the girl room, obviously.

I was excited to see your basement playroom.  Right now, Mom has a tiny corner of the living room designated as my toy area, I was a bit jealous of all the toys you had in your playroom; Mom could barely keep me away from playing with them.  Mom said that she was going to have to remember how you had all your toys neatly arranged, but I think it’s more fun having toys all over.  Dad loved the TV area and says he can’t wait to have family movie nights when I get bigger, although, I think he would prefer to watch golf and football while I play!

My parents were so excited when we saw your house, that we had to come back a second time.  This time, Mom took me for a walk around the neighbourhood and I can’t wait to learn how to ride a bike so I can ride through the neighbourhood, or to go to the parks and walk to school.  

I understand how hard it will be to move from a house you clearly love, as I’ll be a little sad to say goodbye to my old room too.  But rest assured, if we move into your house, I’m sure I’ll love playing in it, running through a sprinkler and making snowmen in the backyard, opening presents at Christmas time by the fireplace, riding my bike (once I learn) down the street, and making cookies with Mom as much as you did when you lived there. 

Mom and Dad want to make sure I say “Thank You” for considering our offer and hope to hear from you soon,

Abby Harding

Wouldn't you know - out of 9 offers(!!) the homeowners received, they picked ours, because of the letter.  We'd later find out that the letter made, not only Mrs homeowner, but Mrs next door neighbour cry!  Dustin and I were ecstatic.  I knew from the second I saw the house, that it was the one - it was home!



Luckily the move went smoothly - on both ends.  We had a great crew to help us move and things could not have gone better!  Even Abby got to help!



Anyway, after a few months, we've got the house pretty well organized and unpacked.  It really feels like ours now.  The neighbourhood is amazing; schools and parks in every direction.  Abby and I loved taking walks everyday in the summer/fall and we're enjoying the backyard for snow days.  


Front entry way (and all decked out for Christmas)


Our unused dining room - waiting for the perfect table (set up here for our big party)


Really, the kitchen is what sold it!



Living room




You'll notice Abby has her own kitchen!
Second bedroom - being attacked by Abby
Abby's room
Second bath - aka: Abby's bathroom
Master Bedroom - with a bathroom and two closets!
A third of the basement - or Abby's playroom (other 2/3 is a TV area, the office and two storage areas)
Abby loves all her new playgrounds
We love our walks
These are my running trails!
We couldn't have asked for a better place to live.
We're glad many of you have been able to see the house, and look forward to seeing the rest of you soon.

1 comment:

  1. So happy for you. Enjoy for many years to come. Fill your home with laughter, tears, joy, love and pets.

    ReplyDelete