Friday, February 14, 2014

Our Little Lady Turns 1!


All together now - "I can't believe a year has gone by already!"  Abby is now a toddler (for real!) and a 1 year old!  WHAT!?  I was just saying the other day, I can't believe how the months have flown for how slowly the days creep by!  

Our little Abby had her 12 month check up yesterday, and weighed in a 18.15 lbs and measured 29 inches (putting her in the 25th and 50th percentile respectively).  She's a petite little thing, which means that she is JUST growing out of her 6 month sized clothing (she fits best in 12 month!), and we can still carry her around relatively easily.  Although she's small, she's starting to get a little Buddha belly and thigh rolls!  So adorable!  Also, that hair!  I can now put it in pony and pig-tails!  I have a feeling I'm going to get a lot better at doing hair while Abby is walking around the house (or playing with my phone!)



This month has been exciting, to say the least.  Abby has really developed in leaps and bounds this month, mostly, because she's learned to walk.  Dustin and I were finally ready for A to walk, so we would sit on the floor and "force" her to walk between us.  After about 4 times doing that, she was walking on her own.  Letting go of a wall and just taking off.  Once that happened, it wasn't long before she was walking everywhere.  Abby hasn't perfected standing up on her own yet, though, so she still has to pull up on the furniture before she takes off.  I'm still not totally used to Abby walking, as she surprises me sometimes, just standing in the middle of the floor!

Now that Abby's walking, some of her favourite activities are to do the circuit around our house (from the living room, through the kitchen, into the hall and back to the living room, repeat!), she also has begun to get into everything, and when she finds something she isn't supposed to have (a cell phone, water bottle) she now "runs" away.  It's very cute.  I think Abby thinks she is being sneaky, but it's pretty hard to miss her trying to get away.



Abby is a very happy girl.  She's starting to show off her silly side.  She loves to tickle, tickle (I've taught her to tickle people, very sweet!  She even can "tickle, tickle Abby").  We love to sing and dance and jump.  Abby's signing has improved (she now has "more" and "milk", and we are working on "all done").  She waves to the trains as they leave the station from her view at the window.  Abby is also "talking" a lot more.  Her babbles sound like words and she will tell you a very long story now.  She also has a pretty loud squeal!  Her favourite things are still books, baths, sweet potatoes, blueberries, eggs, music and her monkey.  It's funny, every morning, I get her out of her crib, she throws her soother and monkey back into the crib, we nurse, diaper change, and then she pulls all her books off our coffee table.  She's starting to play by herself, which is nice.  I can have a few minutes to wake up, clean the kitchen or get food together.  

And speaking of mornings, we've had much better mornings as I've been able to get uninterrupted sleep more often than I'm getting up!  She's going through the night more often (from 8-8!).  Everyone in the house if very excited about this!

I did ask her to show me her Monkey


I certainly can't believe that we've only had Abby in our life for a year.  She has brought so much excitement and joy into our lives (as well as frustration and exhaustion!), she's the perfect addition to our family.  (As Dustin will surely attest too; I mean, who else will laugh when he burps or farts or sneezes?!)  We truly lucked out on Abby, she's amazing.  I can't wait to see what silly and wild adventures she will take us on as she gets older.  I can already tell, it just gets more entertaining from here.  

Can't believe she's 1!



-----------

Part 2:  Abby's Birthday Celebrations!

For Abby's birthday, we started the day with a little birthday "cake".  Grandy Jean had joked about making Abby a chicken breast with a candle for her birthday, as that's what Abby really loves.  I countered with the fact she also loves sweet potatoes and blueberries, so maybe I should make a cake with those.  D thought our "cake" would need scrambled egg sprinkles.  So, her birthday morning, I attempted to assemble said cake.  Abby did enjoy it - probably more than a normal cake!




Then, we had to put on our Birthday Day shirt and open her gifts.  I had already given Abby her crocheted giraffe, so she just had her shoes to open from us.

Showing her b-day giraffe her birthday card.

Abby loved her card from Amie!


Hmm... what's inside?




This is it, Mom!?
Then, Abby had a real cake.  We decided to do a cake-smash, but Abby was too dainty.  All she wanted to do was lick the whipped cream frosting!  (After I made her a special banana cake!! - oh well.)  We got some good photos and I think Abby enjoyed the little sugar rush!

A little tentative at first


Yes, I need to work on my cake making skills.

I learned whipped cream doesn't spread easily!



Got the hang of this now!







Getting the foot involved!


Happy Birthday, Abby!


No comments:

Post a Comment