Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Goderich Triathlon Race Report

Dustin - Swim: 16:03 T1: 0:49 Bike: 1:11:39 T2: 0:27 Run: 51:39 Total: 2:20:34

Craig -- Swim: 19:21 T1: 0:39 Bike: 1:08:29 T2: 0:27 Run: 54:33 Total: 2:23:26

James - Swim: 20:24 T1: 1:50 Bike: 1:17:03 T2: 1:09 Run: 48:43 Total: 2:29:07

Disclaimer: This blog post is being written by Dustin... anticipate poor grammar, spelling, punctuation and a much less intelligible post. (I've already spelt 'spelling' and 'punctuation' incorrectly)


This is a race that Craig has been bugging me to do for the last two years. "A real mom-and-pop race," he said. "Very grassroots."  I really hadn't given it much more thought, though, until James indicated that he'd be home at the end of August, and interested in getting a race in with us while he was here. 

I think I sent my registration in that day.

The day itself was perfect. Water temperature in the mid 60s (as far as I could tell), blue skies, flat water and a forecast in the Low 20s.  Ideal race conditions.

James did not seem to feel the tension, he was calm as a cucumber
Tensions were running high, as the running season triathlon score between Craig and I was 2-1 in Craig's favour.  I'd had the race of my life in Belwood, and after only losing :50 to Craig in the bike leg, had a strong run to cement my first win of the season. The podium finish was simply icing on the cake.  I needed this win to tie up the season.  Cheerful banter between the two of us the day before, and Craig warned me that run-be-damned, he was coming for me on the bike.  I'd better have a good lead out of the water if I wanted to stay ahead on the bike and not have to fight it out on the run.  Game on!

Game face - ON


While Craig and I endured the 'Washing Machine," James opted to idle for a moment and join the back of the pack. Smart tactical move.


Dustin exits the swim



I was the first of the three of us to exit the water, and 23rd overall out.  My swim had not gone particularly well. I'd tried to get on some faster feet and draft a bit, but I couldn't seem to get into the rhythm I needed.

Craig was out next, racing like a man possessed.  You'll notice there are no photos of Craig and I getting on our bikes. That's because we were racing so fast, Christy didn't have time to get to transition to take any photos.  The race was tight!  My lead was 3:18 into T1, and Craig made up :10 in transition, hot on my heels. The olympic triathlon distance is short enough that nutrition on the course is not a huge factor, however, I generally take a gel on the bike, and as I mounted, it flew off my handlebars. No chance I was stopping to pick it up.... I hope I had enough to eat for breakfast!





James followed us out of the water 4:21 behind me, and a little over a minute behind Craig. Admittedly, he was way faster than he thought he'd ever be in the water.  Still some work to do, but looks like we might make a swimmer of him after all!  A slow transition (though, fast for his first race!) onto the bike cost James another minute.  He had his work cut out for him on the bike.


The bike ride was 42k. At the halfway point, Craig saw me about a minute ahead, and mouthed the word "Gotcha" to me.  The second half of the ride was downhill, favouring a heavier rider.  Craig had the advantage.  I knew that if I was going to take the race, I had to make the back half of the ride count, so I dug deep and rode outside of my comfort zone on the way back, keeping as aero as possible to stay ahead.  With one km to go, on the final climb of the day, I looked back to see Craig coming up on my back wheel.   I stayed with him over the top of the climb and through the neighbourhood on the last couple of turns into T2.  We entered T2 within seconds of each other.  With the same transition time, we started the run together.  

This was new territory.  I don't think we have ever started the run together before. Generally, whoever is first into T2 is the winner that day.  I suspected I was in for a tough 10k.








The first KM of the run has a big uphill start to it.  With legs already burning from the ride, it was all we could do to not walk up.  We got about halfway up, and Craig high-fived me, and conceded the win, explaining he'd spent everything he had on the ride.  This was an ideal situation for me, because I, too, had spent everything I had on the run!  The first 3 km, all I could do was turn over my legs; they felt like lead.  I could hear Craig behind me (he's not a quiet runner)... but refused to turn around and let him see the pain on my face.

At the halfway mark, I put the hammer down, put on a brave face, and picked up the pace. I really wanted to look strong as I passed by Craig on the way back, cementing in his mind that he couldn't catch me. 

Shortly there-after I saw James, who looked strong, but wasn't running nearly as fast as he had hoped.  A 42km bike race will do that to your legs.  For a new triathlete, it's a hard lesson to learn.





Finally, in the last KM, I allowed myself a glance back, and nobody was behind me.  I didn't let up on the gas at all, and pushed even harder.  Trying to make up some of the time I'd lagged in the first half of the run.


Making the final turn into the finish

Craig and Alyssa crossing the finish line together,  a race tradition

James is across the line!



James had the run of the day, making up 6 minutes on Craig, and 3 on me.  Outstanding for his first run off the bike.  After comparing notes on the course, it was time to head back to the lake to cool off. The cool water was really soothing on our sore legs, and while beer is not normally a post-race recovery drink, it was really quenching this particular day.  Thanks Craig!

Overall, an outstanding race day.  Thanks to all our 'Fans' who came out to cheer us on! Thanks to Craig for brining out the best in me on the bike, and congrats to James on a great first race.  Looking forward to seeing some more race results next season.





No comments:

Post a Comment