Tuesday, February 3, 2015

California Girls


Just before Abby's second birthday (when she would need her own seat to fly!), A and I packed up an went to California for a week to visit the Snows.  It was nice to escape the massive snow storm raging in Burlington and see some sunshine!

Sarah is an excellent host and we packed our time with lots of fun activities for the kids (and adults).  Even if we weren't going anywhere, it was fun just to be able to be outside, playing in the yard or the park without worrying about snowsuits or boots.  The kids had a lot of fun together too. 

On our way - glad we had an extra seat for some of the ride
A's not too sure - we leave winter and arrive to spring?
Double decker travel is the way to go!
Playing in sand at the end of January - is there anything better?


William being a garbage man with the trike.
My little artist

Our adventures included the Monterey Bay Aquarium.  We had a lot of fun looking at the fish and (my favourite) the jellyfish.  The whole aquarium is very kid friendly and despite being a little afraid of the fish, Abby had a good time.









No trip to California would be complete without a trip to San Francisco.  It was an amazing visit.  The city is fantastic and beautiful.  The hill - oh man! I would not want to be a runner/cyclist in SF!  We first made a stop to Pier 39 to see the sea lions and go on the merry-go-round.  We also had to get some authentic San Francisco sour dough and clam chowder.  I'm not usually a fan of clam chowder, but in a sour dough bowl, it was delicious.  While we attempted to get the kids napping, we did a boat tour of the San Fran Bay to see the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz.  I really enjoyed that.  Too bad the kiddos didn't nap at all.  We then drove over the bridge and around the city (and the kids finally all fell asleep) and it really was fantastic.  As corny as it may seem, it is fun to be a tourist!  Especially visiting all of these iconic landmarks.  I was totally in awe of San Francisco.  It is a beautiful city.



Checking out the sea lions on the Pier!






I think this is one of my favourite shots of the Golden Gate!




SF is known for it's food and food culture, right?  So, to bring a little SF back home with me to share with D, I decided I'd bring a couple different bags of espresso beans home.  But that meant, that of course, I'd have to try the beans at the roasters/coffee shops first!  Which meant, in the span of a couple of hours, I had three cups of coffee! (A speciality drip coffee and mocha at one place, and a flat white at another.)  They were all excellent and to say I was "buzzing" after all that caffeine, would be an understatement!
Our excellent (if not a little crazy - three children = difficult to find a restaurant!) Italian dinner


A little after-dinner cookie/pastry run!


Is this not the best "I've got a cookie" face?

Plus, because who wouldn't want to go to the beach in February?  We got a couple of beach trips in.  Abby loved being able to play in the sand and I loved being by the water.  


Ainsley makes a break for the water!








Sea lions floating together

A did this a lot - just pass out mid-adventure.  We went hard (and she got sick!)



Beautiful day to watch the surfers.  The sound of the surf was so relaxing too.


Our other fun activities included a trip to Google to visit Chris (it was as awesome, if not more so, than people describe it!); a Super Bowl party; a lot of dress-up and play time in the Snow's awesome play room and of course, indoor stair slide and indoor personal ball pit!  (Because who doesn't have a slide down their stairs or a personal ball pit!)  We had so much fun.  Sarah is an amazing host, and the kids got along so well.  I can't wait to go back.

Playing after Gymboree class

Lunch at Google, all free.  So much to choose from (Indian, Mexican, pizza, fruit, salads...)

The two A's (Abby and Ainsley) - twins (even down to the suckies!)

This is what I have to do if I share a room with A - hide!
The car was a very popular toy

Sarah had to buy a second dolly while we were there - the girls each wanted their own baby.

Why yes, Sarah has an indoor slide installed on her stairs!

Ball pit fun!




No comments:

Post a Comment