Saturday, July 27, 2013

5 Months Old


Five months already.  I think I may say that every month - but honestly, the time is really flying.  Motherhood alters your perception of time - you feel as though you are slogging through the days and then you turn around and five months has passed by.  Also, as a mom, I find myself wanting time to go quickly (can't wait until she sleeps through the night, is in her own room, is talking...) and wishing it would slow down (is she really starting to move?, what happened to my tiny baby I could take anywhere and she'd just sleep, I wish she was the baby who still slept through the night!).  The fact that your sleeping, waking and eating times are all over the place doesn't help matters either.


This month was a bit of an odd month in terms of noting Abby's development.  The first 4 months you could almost watch as day by day she was picking up a new skill.  She was a different baby each day it seemed.  This month I felt like it was much the same as last month.  Abby can roll, she is making lots of cute noises, she's using her hands, etc.  However, I know that it couldn't be a month of nothing but the same, so I started to really look at what she was doing.  Sure enough, this month was much more of the same skills she'd gained in the past couple of months - but there was something different.  Each of the skills Abby had learned last month, she was using them on a different level, she has begun mastering the skills.  

Abigail's rolling has become unbelievably fast.  She can roll from her back to her tummy in seconds, and prefers to be on her tummy most of the time (which, I'm told, is unusual for babies).  She have even begun preferring to sleep on her tummy (or side).  It makes diaper changes entertaining now.  Luckily, she seems to be over the worse when it comes to surprises during changes.  Her ability to grab and reach and use her hands has improved dramatically as well.  She'll roll to get a toy she wants then play with it, pass it between her hands, eat it (everything goes into the mouth now!).  Abby has directed hand control - in other words, she'll grab your face, hair, glasses, for a toy - things that she wants to grab, not just what she accidentally bumps into.  This means that Abby is a lot more interested in all the toys she has now.  The ability to roll and grab means that she's a bit more mobile now.  No more leaving her on couches or beds and stepping away to grab something.  She can turn completely around on her play mat.  We may have to start childproofing soon.  Oh great!

Her vocalizations are improving.  I'm starting to hear Abby use more consonants and she has a very cute squeal.  Dustin can get her talking in seconds.  She will frequently wake up talking and cooing now.  She often finds her way into our bed in the mornings, (I mean, find your own way back to your crib, child!), so I'll often wake to hair pulling, smacks to the face and "ahhh, oohhh, gaaaa".  Not a bad way to wake up.  Even if it is 5:30 in the morning (but usually it's 7 am)!  We've also been able to get a real laugh out of Abby lately.  She loves being kissed and tickled under the chin and thrown in the air.  





And as you can see, one new skill Abby has picked up this month is sitting up.  She's quite impressed with herself and while she's lying on her back Abby will pick her head off the floor, as if she's saying: "Help me, Mommy!  I want to sit up."  She tries to do it in the bath too, which isn't as fun, although she doesn't seem to mind getting water in her mouth or eyes.  Generally, Abby is much more mobile and physically active.  She is pretty much go go go all the time, until bed and then it's CRASH!  She kicks in the bath and does a pretty good job shaking her rattle.  She love to jump (still), and stand (with help). 

Abby is developing her personality more as well.  She's a funny little thing.  Still ever observant of her surroundings - which is fascinating to watch.  She loves to be outside and visiting new places where she'll just stare at people and trees and animals.  Abby also loves kids.  She smiles and talks to her cousins.  In new situations, she takes a couple of seconds to survey everything and check everyone out, but then she's all smiles and coos.  She still likes her alone time too.  Abby does get a little agitated when she's held for too long, she also doesn't often fall asleep while being held.  She really enjoys her space to move and wiggle and play.  I've also set her in her crib, thinking she's tired, only to check in on her after a while and she was still awake and happy, just enjoying her space and quiet time.  

Speaking of cribs and sleeping - we're still working on that.  Abby is still up 2-3 times in the night, which is not all that fun.  She's usually pretty good going down to sleep.  I put her down with her pink monkey and a satin edged blanket, and she'll "sing" to her monkey as she falls asleep.  She loves to hold her monkey's arms and hold it's little head above her face - it's very sweet.  I can usually put her down and go back in once to replace the soother before she's out.  (Now, she has been testing my patience some days, by battling sleep for up to 30 min before giving in.  Those days are not fun.)

So, that's where we are these days.  I'm expecting a lot of changes in the next month - well I'm expecting our life to change a little more as we add solids and possibly increased mobility into our day to day Abby routine.  Just as you think you're starting to get a handle on this whole parenting thing, your kid knows and throws an entirely different set of issues at you to figure out.  We keep telling Abby - "Good thing you're cute!"



Levi getting Abby to smile

Don't blink - or you'll miss her rolling over! - also I love her squeal of accomplishment at the end!




I put Abby down for a nap, and this is all I could hear over the monitor - also, this is not an isolated event.  This now occurs at least once or twice a week during nap time!



And finally, one of the best sounds in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment