Monday, October 6, 2014

Whiddens Visit Ontario


Again, this is going to be a typical blog update.  Nothing for a long while then, BOOM, multiple updates in a row.

We've had a pretty busy summer - with selling, shopping for, buying and moving houses (more about that later).  We've also had some fun trips and visits with family too.

Allie and Tayson came to London for two weeks this summer.  It was amazing to have my sister around for that long and to see Abby and Tayson play together.  They loved being together.  Abby and I spent the two weeks in London with Allie and Tayson (before the husbands joined us for the last long weekend).  Every morning for the first couple of days, Abby would wake up and say "Daddy?" like she usually does.  But after about the third morning, Daddy was replaced with "Taysay?"  She was so excited to see her cousin and start the day with him.  I think he was the same, as he'd want to get Abby up from her nap.

Allie had a whole list of events that she wanted to do while she was in London and I think we accomplished nearly all of them.

Her list included (warning - lots of photos!):

The Toronto Zoo:










Abby did this all by herself - she really wanted to hold Tayson's hand



Abby figures out the zoo very quickly and decides to take matters into her own 'feet'


Although, I think it was the hottest day of the summer, the kids had a great time checking out the animals.  I loved watching as Abby would look and then suddenly see the animals and get really excited when she did.  

Pony Rides:

Dad works with a lady that owns a pony and she was kind enough to suggest that the kids come over for pony rides. Only the boys were brave enough to actually get on the pony, the girls were a little scared - although, I think Abby would have gone with Tayson, if she hadn't just heard Amaya scream to get off.  Tayson loved it; he's a natural cowboy!  Abby still had fun just being outside and watching the "neighs".







Abby just wants to be one of the big kids!


Blueberry Picking:

Allie and I have great memories of picking blueberries as kids/teens, but the farm we used to pick at has since closed.  So, in attempts to find an alternative blueberry farm, we found an even better farm/petting zoo/kids play place.  The kids had a blast running around the toy and climbing area.  They loved all the farm animals, Tayson even got to ride another pony!  


Abby loves the toy cars.  She never wants to get out!







Pigs are funny!


It did not take long before Abby and Tayson figured out how to pick (and eat!!) blueberries.  Abby ate a couple of green ones before learning that they didn't taste nearly as good as the blue ones.  The two kids must have eaten a half bushel of berries!!  They loved it.  Eventually, they figured out that the rest of us were filling up buckets with all the good berries, and dived in to our buckets!  





"What do you mean 'I'm cut off'?"

Tayson's Birthday:

While in London, Tayson turned 3!  He's so big now!  Allie and I had a fun time putting his birthday together.  We tag-teamed making his construction cake (complete with oreo dirt and chocolate bar boulders) and I think it was adorable; I think we did Gramma Jean proud in our cake decorating skills.  Allie made up a treasure hunt for the kids, which they did amazingly well with, considering the oldest kid was 4 years old.  We lucked out and had good weather and were able to spend time tossing water balloons and running around the back yard.  I think all the kids (and adults) had a lot of fun.




Water balloon tossing in action!



D puts together a paper jet for T.


Beach Day:

We didn't think it was going to happen, but we had a nice day to spend a whole day at the beach.  The water was cool but it was hot enough to enjoy the cold water.  Abby even got a swim in with her cousins, but mostly loved playing in the sand.



My perfect beach time - mommy reading and daddy and Abby playing.


All the fun and sun can sure be exhausting!
Lots of Cousin time:

To top it off, Allie and I wanted to have lots of cousin time between Abby and Tayson.  As mentioned, the two were amazing together and loved playing and just being together.  Tayson is going to be a fantastic older brother; he took care of Abby everywhere we went.  He was so cute with Abby, even using some of the lines Allie uses on him with Abby, for example, Abby was whining and Tayson comes up to her and says: "Are you frustrated? Do you need help?" exactly in the same manner Allie does when he starts whining.  So adorable.


Future embarrassing cousin photos are essential.


You can see how much Abby loves T in this photo.
We made sure to spend lots of time outdoors.  With two kids to entertain, we found the best solution was to get them running around outside to tire them out.  I don't think Abby has ever slept as well then she did after spending a week with Tayson running around and playing all day!



Cutest little photo bomber!


"Mom, my hands are dirty!!"


Of course, Tayson had to teach Abby how much fun it is to puddle jump.  I think she enjoyed her first time splashing in puddles.




And we had to make chocolate chip cookies with our two little helpers!


And a trip to London wouldn't be complete without a trip to Springbank park for a ride on the train and carrousel (Abby's still not a big fan of the Merry-go-round!).





Tayson helps Abby with her shoes!
A lot of fun had with the inflatable kiddie pool and a pile of foam balls.
All this fun is exhausting for a preggo mom and a little kiddo.
I call this one "Conspirators"
Finally, Dad had a bike at the house that Tayson was riding.  Abby watched Tayson in awe as he would ride up and down the street.  One morning Abby "convinced" her father to take her out for a bike ride.  She was thrilled and wanted to go up and down the street over and over and over.  I don't know who was more happy, Abby or Dustin.  If I was ever in doubt (I wasn't), I think we have a future athlete on our hands.  






No comments:

Post a Comment