Well, I thought I might have at least one more year of picking Abby's Halloween costume, but, like many things with Abby, she proved me wrong. This year, Abby has been anxiously awaiting Halloween for some time. I started asking Abby what she wanted to be for Halloween in September. My idea for her was to be a character in one of her (and my) favourite books; I thought she would make an adorable Paper Bag Princess (and that would be super easy for me to make). But, no! Abby had other ideas. She wanted to be a DRAGON! (Now, the idea may have started that she wanted to be the dragon from The Paper Bag Princess, but it turned out she wanted to be a dragon from her other favourite dragon book - Dragons Love Tacos. She wanted to be a taco lovin' dragon.)
So, dragon she would be. Luckily, my friend Susan had a wonderful dinosaur costume which I amended (sewed on wings) to turn it into Abby Dragon!
Some of my DIY Halloween crafts: Bump's Halloween costume (ie a shirt for mom), and a trick-or-treat bag (which I sewed and was super impressed that I could do that!).
![]() |
| Roar! |
Because, seriously, what dragon doesn't love a good autumn bike ride?
This year, Abby was pretty excited to go trick-or-treating. We made sure we practised a lot: "Abby, what do you say when you get to the door?" "Trick-or-treat" "Then you'll get a candy and say....?" "Thank you!" It was great to start the trick-or-treating a day early. We went downtown Oakville on Friday morning to trick-or-treat at all the stores with Susan, Kaitlyn, Baby Emily and Nana Cheryl. It was amazing to get some practise saying all the right things and get used to taking candy from strangers. The girls didn't take very long before they were leading the way down the street.
![]() |
| Abby Dragon (with bear ears!) and Princess Kaitlyn! |
They walked down the street holding hands. It was so adorable. These two love each other so much!
![]() |
| Candy haul #1 |
Then, Saturday we carved our pumpkins. Abby was alright with scooping but not with the hands fully in the pumpkin guts. We left the carving to Daddy, while Abby and I separated the seed and roasted them. Dustin did an amazing job carving and our house was very popular among the preschool crowd. (Abby calls the Count - "Ah ha ha ha" - as in when the Count counts "One, two, three, ah ha ha ha")
![]() |
| A playing with the felt pumpkin faces I made, trying to decide what her pumpkin should look like (or trying to distract her so she doesn't disturb Dad while he's using a sharp knife!) |
![]() |
| Our finished pumpkin trio! |
Abby was fairly wound up all day, and we kept telling her she had to wait until it got dark before Halloween started. And wouldn't you know, the second the sun began to set we started to hear: "is it Halloween time yet?" We had arranged to go out with our across the street neighbours, which was great. I think Abby really enjoyed going out with her friends. I stayed home and handed out candy (65-ish kids this year), while Abby, Dust, Amie (swim coach), Elton (her dog), Ben (our 3-year old neighbour), Adrian (Ben's Dad), and Ben's Grandpa all went out (yep, that's 4 adults and a dog for two children!). The kids had a great time, even checking out some haunted houses. I hear Abby was great and used her excellent manners - even if she asked for more or different candies than offered occasionally. They group stayed out for about an hour and a half. And the candy haul!?! I think we ended up with more candy in the house than we started with! Just what we need. Abby will have potty treats for the next year!
Abby and her neighbour friend, Ben (these photos are some of the benefits of going trick-or-treating with a pro-photographer - Ben's Dad!!)
![]() |
| The candy haul #2!! |
It was a great Halloween. Abby was hilarious (she'll tell you she was not a mean dragon, but a nice dragon, even though she would roar at you!). We were only asked about 3 times on Sunday if she could put her dragon costume back on and go out trick-or-treating again. Too funny. I can't see what she thinks up to be next year. I'm sure it'll have the same Abby flair as she did this year.

































No comments:
Post a Comment