Monday, August 11, 2014

Sick and Smart 16/17 Months


I know, I've been so lax on getting these posts up.  I find time to edit photos and by the time I do that, I have so many photos to post, I run out of time to post.  But, here they are.  My monthly report may be a little scant, as this past few months have been BUSY!!  But, it's better than nothing.


At 16-months, Abby was sick.  We think she may have had fifth's disease, which sounds much worse that it is.  Basically, a cold followed by a rash.  She wasn't really in a great mood to take photos - being sick and all - so, I did the best I could.  Abby is much more difficult to photograph now as she's developing quite the independent streak.  She is a wiggler and doesn't really want to sit still and smile.  She'd much rather be playing or getting into everything.  These past few months we've had to do a second (or third or fourth) round of baby proofing - as she's in a dumping stage.  One of her favourite activities is to get ahold of the basket I keep her hair accessories and dump it all over the floor.  She also likes emptying Dustin's and my bedside tables, which means, we can't keep anything within three feet of the floor. 

Dumping hair elastics and barrettes everywhere.


As mentioned, Abby's miss independent these days.  She loves going on walks, but isn't too keen on holding your hands.  She will swing her arms and "run" away (I say run, but it's really just a walk with more arm swing).  We are trying really hard to teach her that she has to hold hands in parking lots and roads, but she's a stubborn one.  Abby is getting much better at using a fork and spoon too - again, furthering her independence.  She is driving us crazy throwing her food from her high chair (many times while looking you in the eye and saying: "no, no, no").  The cutlery and giving her a plate and bowl seem to help.  The funny thing is, it just goes to show us, how much Abby comprehends.  She knows she's not supposed to throw food (as she will say "no" while doing it).  It's amazing to be able to communicate with her.  Dustin and I love that it's no longer a uni-directional communication.  Abby can actual talk back to us and express her thoughts.



I think by the end of 15 months, Abby had about 20 words (including animal sounds) - by the end of 17 she must be close to 50.  She is learning and using new words every day.  It's remarkable!  Abby is constantly surprising us with new words, and using them properly.  She can "read" books with you, which I find adorable.  It's even more entertaining when Dustin reads the books and she reads along.  He gets so shocked and happy when she'll "read" the page before he gets to it.  Some of my favourite words Abby knows are: "knock knock" (which she'll say while knocking on the bathroom door if you dare to shut it while you are in there), "tay-toe" (potato, sweet or otherwise), "a-ca-do" (avocado), "shhhzzzss" (shoes - this is one of those words that only Abby's parent could understand), and all of her animal sounds (Tayson taught Abby how to roar - and it's the cutest thing).    

Forever curious!
Monthly photos shoots are exhausting.
Silly at 17 months.
For the most part, Abby's growth has slowed down.  She's still a tall, lanky baby.  It's amusing to watch as her tummy goes from tiny to huge throughout the day.  At the end of the day, she's usually sporting quite the Buddha belly.

Pretty sure this is her "Roar" face.

Abby and I have been outside a lot this summer, and she loves her walks.  She will get her shoes and try to put them on as soon as you mention outside or walk.  She's worse than a dog sometimes!  She loves dogs too.  We walk to the dog park and she'll run right up to the fence and watch the dogs.  Abby also loves climbing.  She's discovered stairs at her Nana & Papa's (Harding's) house.  She also climbs the playground equipment, child sized chairs, boxes, and is trying to get onto couches and big chairs.  You can't leave the step stool open, she'll be up those stairs in no time.   Abby is a constant supervision type of kid; Dustin and I have to verbally "hand-off" when we leave the room to make sure the other has eyes on her.



But, as crazy and stubborn and independent as she is, Abby is a great toddler.  She is helpful and understands many commands.  She is a great hugger (though, she has to be in the mood to give you one).  She is starting to understand the value of cuddling - and will do so only while reading books or if she's exhausted.  Abby is still a great sleeper and loves her naps (down to one 2-3h nap per day and 12-14h at night). 



Abby's starting to develop a sense of humour too, and a personality. She's quite sassy many days.  She'll definitely give you a piece of her mind.  She talks a lot (you won't understand 90% of it, but watch out for the day she learns to talk for real!).  She will look you straight in the eye and talk to you, then wait, expecting you to respond.  It's quite funny.   She's a handful and keeping me busy most days.  I do look forward to nap times and the hour or two I have after everyone has gone to bed in the evenings. 




And the hair... oh my.  It keeps growing!  I've resisted getting it cut this long, and I think I'm going to keep going.  It's getting pretty long in the front and needs to be pulled out of Abby's eyes every day, but it's so cute when I can pull it up.  She's getting some cute curls in the back and with all our time spent outside, Abby's turning into quite the blondie.  I must admit, I'm enjoying trying out different hair styles on her and luckily, she's a great girl sitting and allowing me to do her hair (as long as she has something to play with!).  I suspect, I have many years of hair pulling ahead of me!

First attempt at braiding - not a great success.

Future ballerina?
Bonus - dance videos.  Abby loves to dance.  She's learned how to turn on my alarm clock radio and will "shake her booty" to the music.  We do have a lot of family dance parties in the living room.




No comments:

Post a Comment