Abby is still tiny-ish. By our home measurements, she's still just under 16 lbs and probably close to 27.5 inches. She's not getting any fatter. She's just a lean baby. I think part of the reason Abby is so lean, is she is in constant motion. The girl doesn't stop for a second. All of her favourite activities involve movement. And she has really begun to move a lot. This month, Abby graduated from army crawling to full on crawling. But I think her motivation to crawl is only to get her from point A (the floor) to point B (anywhere where she call pull herself up to stand). Abby is pulling up on all of our furniture - the couch, the coffee table, the TV stand, bookshelf, wine rack/boxes... It all started one day while she was at her toy box and she just pull up to a crouch and then the next time it was full up on the feet. Abby will also surf the furniture; she has already navigated down the length of our living room wall using the furniture (diaper change box, tv stand, speaker, bookshelf, bookshelf, wine rack, boxes). She is also a climber. Abby has no problem climbing over whatever is in her way while crawling (and while "walking"), I even watched her try to climb over one of the pillows we have strategically placed to hide things. So, to say that Abby is keeping her mom on her toes, is a bit of an understatement. I'm constantly using the phrases: "No, thank you" or "Not for babies" while Abby crawls around the house. I also make sure we get out of the house now, so that I'm not just chasing Abby around the same 300 sq ft all day.
While it's very exciting that Abby is up and moving and standing and walking on the furniture, it has meant that she a little more active at night too. The first couple of nights it was pretty cute to walk into her room and find her standing at the end of her crib singing and laughing and smiling, so proud of herself. But the novelty wore off quickly after spending the better part of 3 hours trying to get Abby to settle down and sleep one night. After that night, Abby and I practised how to SIT DOWN from standing all day. She can now stand and get back down - which is an improvement to sleeping. Abby also learned how to back into a sitting position from a crawl, which has meant sometimes I find her sitting up in her crib in the middle of the night, just rocking back and forth. She's so tired, but can't figure out how to lay back down! We're getting better at night times, but she's still feeding at least 2-4x in the night.
Other exciting things this month: Abby got her first two teeth. Her two little bottom teeth finally popped through. She got one tooth through and then about a week later the other one came out. Abby is already putting her teeth to good use with food, as she's making her way through apples and cucumber like she never did before. She still loves her food - especially her proteins. We love feeding Abby with real food (as opposed to purees), it makes it easier on us, and we get a kick out of watching our baby tear through a hunk of meat!
Also, this month brought Abby's first cold. Both Abby and I spent a couple weeks with stuffy noses and I had a cough. It wasn't fun. Abby was a champ though, and would play through her cold like it didn't matter. She did have a little problem sleeping, because of her stuffy nose, but other than that, you'd never know she was sick. Me, on the other hand, couldn't stop complaining about it! I was not enjoying the 4 am wake ups while sick! But we got through it.
Abby's been talking a lot more too. She's been on a "da-da-da" kick right now. I think she's starting to understand words as well. She seems to respond to words like: Eat, Bath, Book, Milk, Mom and Dad. She's got the sweetest laugh too. It doesn't come out all the time, but when you can get her going, it's pretty cute. Abby isn't a crier either. She's got a whine that will let us know that she wants something, or that she's tired, but she doesn't wail. Even when she falls down. When she's crying, I usually rush right to her, because something is wrong, that's how infrequently she'll cry.
Abby is hitting all her other milestones; her dexterity is great, her object permanence is getting much better (she now looks for the dropped piece of food on her lap, or the hidden phone after Mom takes it away). She's smiley and happy. She's a great little traveller. Abby loves books and banging things. She still loves music and tickles and bath time. She's developing quite the personality. I can't wait to see how she'll bring me joy and sleepless nights in the next few months.
I guess my blog writing time is up, as I can hear Abby "yelling" for me from her crib. I guess nap time is over!


















No comments:
Post a Comment