Thursday, December 19, 2013

Double digits - 10 Months!


Abby is double digits - well, double digit months!  She's well on her way to be a toddler.  This month has been crazy.  I don't know if it's just because she's on the go more or because we've been all over the place this past month, or both.


This month, Abby's continued to surprise us with how well she navigates our condo.  She's not only pulling up over all the furniture, but pulls up on unsteady furniture (the Jumperoo, the exercise ball) and will pull herself up using things that are a bit too small just so she can reach something else to pull herself up on.  One of her favourite places to stand it by the window.  She loves to stand and watch the trains.  I think it's funny that she loved to do that in the Jumperoo, and she continues to do it, now that she has free range of the condo.  It's fun to watch Abby navigate the house - she will reach, reposition, reach again, to decide if she can get from one object to the next without crawling.  Of course, she crawls very quickly now.  I can't put her down without her disappearing in seconds, off to explore somewhere else.  And changing her diaper... forget about it.  Distraction is key.  She's off and running (and giggling about it) so often now!  Abby is definitely excelling at her gross motor skills, but she's getting really good at fine motor as well.  She'll pick up things off the floor and pick at spots on the couch - which is why we have to constantly watch her because she'll pick up things and pop them in her mouth very quickly.



This month, we went to Florida where she spent a significant amount of time in the walker, which I think jump started her into wanting to walk on her own more.  Now, every day when she wakes up from her naps or over night, I walk her out of her room, holding onto her hands.  She walks pretty quickly that way.  Not too keen to take a step by herself, just yet - but it's coming very soon.  Too soon for me.  I have a hard enough time keeping her entertained, as it is!


I've still got a great eater.  Abby will gobble down just about anything you put in front of her - or she finds on the floor!  Her favourites are still meat, but she does love her fruit and veg.  We've been a little more relaxed lately with what we've fed her, giving in and letting Abby try forbidden foods (ice cream, cookies, homemade salsa, etc), but it's the holidays.  Also, more and more, Abby is eating what we are eating and that's making me so happy.  The other day, she joined us in having macadamia crusted mahi-mahi with pineapple and mango salsa and sautéed spinach.  The only thing that was different in her meal than our was I chopped the spinach up.  And wouldn't you know, but Abby cleaned her plate that night!  We still suspect she might be left handed (as it is quite evident when you go to wipe her hands after a meal and only the left hand is dirty!).  Abby also has her top two teeth coming in.  They've been so close for the past few weeks, but not through yet.  


Abby is a very happy baby.  She has a smile for most everyone she meets, although maybe not as quick if it's near her nap time.  Everyone is attracted to her - we constantly hear how cute she is, how adorable her cheeks are and how lovely her eyes are.  She is still quiet at first, but boy, when she gets going now, Abby is a talker.  She has developed a scream, a happy scream, but it is loud!  She's also starting to mix her consonants now.  Instead of going through days of only saying - Dadada or Mamama she'll now swing back and forth between Baba, Dada, Bada.  Abby is trying a lot of new sounds together and surprising us every so often with how "word" like her sounds can be.  She's also begun mimicking a lot more.  In Florida, her high chair had a picture of a sheep on it and I would prompt her to say Baa Baa at it - which she did (about 50% of the time!).



Nap and bed times are a lot better now.  She's turning back into a good sleeper.  After a few weeks of struggling to get her down and out, Abby now goes down without a fight most of the time.  She loves her monkey and soother, but knows they are just for sleeping.  She'll gladly leave her monkey and soother in her crib when she wants to get up.  Abby still wakes up one or two times a night, but those times are growing further apart, to the point where I believe she'll drop them all together (she already has one or two nights!).  



Abby loves to be silly and wrestled.  She does a cute thing with her nose where she scrunches it and then sniffs in and out quickly while smiling.  I think it's her silly face.  I do it back to her, as I think it's super cute and want her to continue to do it.  Dustin has also taught Abby how to make silly noises - she loves to use her hand or finger to change her voice - making that silly aww-waa-waa sound.  Believe me, I'm not describing it correctly, but you know what I mean, right?  I'll get it on video for you soon.  Abby is also a proficient clapper.  She loves to clap.  "If You're Happy and You Know It" is one of our favourite songs right now.  It's funny how attuned Abby is to her environment, because the other day we had the TV or radio on and people started applauding - wouldn't you know Abby started to clap too.  She's too smart!  Waving is something we are STILL working on.  She's not a fan of waving apparently.  Abby loves books, especially lift the flap ones (which she does with her left hand!).  It's probably one of the only times in the day I can get her to sit still and cuddle.  She still loves music, and is starting to dance.



She's quite a handful our Miss Abby, but she's a great baby.  Everyone remarks on how easy going she is, and it's true, we lucked out.  I don't think I could have taken her to Oregon and Florida on my own if she wasn't such a great baby.  I was complimented over and over on the flights how good she was.  So overall this month, nothing drastically new - but Abby's just coming more into her own and showing us exactly what kind of a kid she is.  A hilarious, active, outgoing, silly, smart little girl. 


Bonus videos and photos!


Abby's elephant noise.


Yes, she does love her baths!  She loves to splash and kick and get mom wet!







Better keep your devices away from Abby, she now knows how to scroll through pictures and close apps on the iPad.

The toys started in the basket at the beginning of playtime.

Reaching all the way for a specific toy.



No comments:

Post a Comment